Saturday, August 25, 2012
As I write this I am completely, completely drunk on exhaustion.
I am also in my dorm room with my two roommates Hannah and Michelle.
I feel so drained out and not just physically. I didn't know it was going to be so difficult adjusting here. Everyone's like "Oh you're gonna be fine" because everyone has this perception that I am really inclined towards the Western culture. Now that I'm here though I'm experiencing culture shock just like any other Asian (who has been born and bred in a non-Western country) would. The extent of it surprises me because I really thought I was going to be okay.
And it's not that I'm not okay, but the struggle exists nonetheless but the problems are more personal than external. Stupid issues like my accent. I hate it because I don't have a clear American accent (or an accent that sounds Western at all) and then I get pressured into trying to speak with an American accent. It sucks because it's really tiring to keep up with the accent and when I get tired, I slip. Or sometimes my tongue is too short or something HAHAHA and I sound like an idiot. Sigh what wouldn't give to have someone (who's not my sister) be here and speak Singlish with me all frickin' day.
Apart from that there are other issues too but I guess I'll write about those next time because it's late and I'm tired. But now I finally understand why Asians stick to other Asians when they go overseas. I have to come to understand a lot more about things like that ever since coming here.
I miss everyone a lot, I miss Singapore food a lot, I miss my deceased dog (has been deceased for over a year HAHA), I miss some people more than the others. I miss laughing at FPOL and his bleached blonde hair hiakhiakhiak I can't believe I am thinking of FPOL fondly LOL. I miss FPOL noodles.
----------------------------
|