Wednesday, May 16, 2012
DMA
I must admit it was pretty nice, for a while, to see my blog stats climb up. It was pretty nice to know that there were people out there who were actually curious about my mundane life. But then the attention got unsettling so this blog is, again, locked.
It's 2.37 AM and I'm on Skype waiting on Natalie to finish up her part for our Media Business Management assignment before we can all haul ass and get to bed. The thunder is rumbling outside and streaks of lighting are flashing through the sky – I can barely wait for it to all just pour down, for the space around me to be filled up with the sound of raindrops splattering on my windows.
Life has been strange lately. I don't know what to make of things. At this hour I still have my contact lenses on. I don't know what brought on this pensive mood but I can't stop thinking.
As we grow older I think we tend to get eased into this frame of mind about how the world is bigger than you thought it was; at least I know that's how I feel now. Sometimes I wonder why I exist, I'm barely a speckle of dust on this huge mass of land we call the surface of the Earth. If I disappeared right now and you were looking from outer space, you wouldn't even be able to tell.
And then life's so short, and long, at the same time, I don't know what to make of it.
"You may have more Facebook friends as the years go by, but when it comes
to your close friends, you lose about half and replace them with new
ones after about seven years, new social research suggests.
...
He conducted a survey of 1,007 people ages 18 to 65, and then contacted
the participants seven years later. From the original group, 604 people
were re-interviewed. The survey contained questions such as: Who do you
talk with, regarding personal issues? Who helps you with DIY in your home? Who do you pop by to see? Where did you get to know that person? And where do you meet that person now?
The results showed that personal network sizes remained stable, but that
many members of the network were new. About 30 percent of discussion
partners and practical helpers had the same position in a typical
subject's network seven years later. And only 48 percent were still part
of the network. This finding goes against previous research which had
showed that social network sizes are shrinking."
LiveScience, 2 June 2009
http://www.livescience.com/5466-friends-replaced-7-years.html
I shall try and list all the friends whom I've felt closest to up till secondary school and see if I am still close to them lol.
2002: Xinyi, Marilyn
2003: Stephanie, Chelsea
2004: Chelsea, Huashan, Cheryl, Junwei
2005: Huashan, Cheryl, Ruth, Daryl, Jocelyn
2006: Huashan, Cheryl, Ruth, Tessa, Jocelyn, Dewi
2007: Xianyun, Fiona, Darryl, Kelila
2008: Sweden, Christine, Felicia, Hai Song, Gabbie
I just realised it gets complicated so I'm going to figure out a way of tracking how my close friends have changed over the years. Shall get back to this some other day.

So goddamn glad it's done. Only one thing off my to-do list for today but it was a very monumental task indeed :/
----------------------------
|