Thursday, February 16, 2012
from Penzu
August 09, 2011
1.01 AM
Fried egg
It is National Day now and I am not ashamed to report that I do not feel the slightest sense of patriotism at all.
I
suddenly thought of the fried eggs we used to eat during breakfasts at
some hotels when we were young and on holiday. Usually Asian countries.
The eggs were not beaten up, they were fried as is and the edges would
always be brown and crispy. The eggs were never burnt. Sometimes the
yolk was cooked, sometimes it wasn't but that isn't the point because I
never eat the yolks anyway.
The egg whites were always
succulent and tasty in the way that only egg whites can taste. We would
sprinkle some sort of soy sauce over them, the brand name was Maggie or
something, I can't quite remember. The sauce always smelled delicious,
nothing like the soy sauce commonly used at home. We bought a few
bottles before but I can't remember when we stopped. Mum always said
they were a fraught full of MSG.
August 12, 2011
11.39 PM
Tired eyes
This semester is over - at long last! The arrival of this day has
made me a relieved (and happier) girl. It is not because I look forward
to the holidays (okay, maybe a little), but rather because I dread
school so, so much.
Finished all assignments today, and of
course this act comes along with feelings of satisfaction. Although I
always feel my work can be better in a few ways or many ways sometimes
during all the group projects, I'm still glad everything has finally
come to an end.
Just drank a packet of chocolate-flavoured Vitasoy and I am feeling a little sick.
Just
now in the shower I was thinking it is time to move on to books that
are more classic and like true literature instead of continuing to dwell
in the world of chick lit, biographies and YA/children's books. I will
always have a space for those books, I think, for as long as I live. In
fact, I feel a little put-out that I have to put some of them aside to
make more time for more "mature" books because my Sarah Dessens, Hunger
Games and Shopaholics always bring me such great enjoyment (despite
the frivolousness in some of them but that's what I enjoy). But perhaps
it is time to grow a little... Have a little more patience and tolerance
towards the tedious process of conquering adversity... Adversity which
manifests itself in the form of boredom in books.
Bought a
copy of "Atonement" by Ian McEwan months ago (maybe last year?) but
never got around to finishing it because it was such a struggle making
my way through it... I stopped before I even finished a chapter and I
had tried at least twice after my first attempt but it was all to no
avail. Very often, it is great books that take more effort to finish,
perhaps because you have to see deeper into the story and feel your way
around to get a grasp of things as you make your way through the book.
"The
Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky was one book of which I
struggled through laboriously but came to greatly enjoy in the end.
Each re-read further enhanced my understanding of the text.
Shall go to bed now, am so worn out by today's events.
----------------------------
|