Monday, December 12, 2011
When I was younger, my mum would tell my siblings and I all these mythical theories and rules (you'd see what I mean later), of which one of them was this – she said that a person takes fifty thousand years to become a family member to whoever is in your family. I guess that doesn't really make sense, but her exact words were these: “能做兄弟姐妹,或者是父母儿女,是五万年一次修来的福气”
Being a conventional Chinese, my mother believes in reincarnation. I thought about it just now and realised that if, her theory is really true (when we were young she liked making up rubbish to shut us up so I'm kind of dubious), it's actually kind of saddening. What if in my next life, I don't cross paths with them anymore? And what's saddest of all is how we were once so close. Okay, I wouldn't say my family is that close but I'm pretty content with the way we are now.
How many lifetimes does it take to fill up fifty thousand years? Imagine not seeing your family for all those lifetimes. But when you're living those lives I guess you won't even know, because you're supposed to not remember things from your past lives.
A while back, after I re-read portions of The Host again, the topic of past lives had me really intrigued. Being a little narcissistic, I couldn't help but wonder who I was in my past life. Or am I a newborn soul living in my first life? Hahahaha
Some people say that the people whom you've met and instantly liked ("love at first sight" is an example, although personally I don't really believe in that) are people you've already known and were good with in your past life/lives, which is say in this life you feel an inexplicable sense of closeness or liking for or towards them. The same goes for people you've hated at first sight LOL.
Am tired from studying. Shall take a break.
----------------------------
|