Sunday, September 11, 2011
The other day, out of the blue, this primary school classmate of mine texted me. Note that the word I used here is "classmate" and not "friend".
We were in the same class in Primary 6, and despite the firmly held opinion in my 11-year-old mind that boys were disgusting and stupid, this boy Joker (yeah this is a fake name and it's stupid that's why I'm using it on him LOL but really, it sounds similar to the unregistered English name he used) and I struck up a friendship. We were not really close, like how close I was to Huashan, Cheryl, Ruth and my other dear friends of yesteryear, but he was always special because he was one of the only boy-friends I had. (I decided that I can't call him a "guy friend" because he wasn't really a "guy" then, he was just a boy)
Of course, we had our differences. I remember writing in my journal about how he always reached over to my pencil case (we sat next to each other), grabbing my liquid paper/stapler/whatever-stationary I used then and saying, "Lend me ah", and then proceeding to use a generous amount of it before I could even say yes or no. The 11-year-old me was annoyed.
Joker shared the same name (but different surname) with another boy who sat behind me. Joker No. 2 went on to go to Fuhua as well. Joker and Joker No. 2, disgusting little brats that they were, quickly became close. The girl sitting next to Joker No. 2 (we all sat in a boy-girl formation then), Dark Eye Rings (I'm naming her this cos when we were in P6 she already had dark eye rings. SERIOUSLY!) made friends with me too although we were never close. The four of us sat in class, Dark Eye Rings and I gasping and tutting in disapproval at how gross the boys were and we all laughed in class at random shit. But I digress.
Despite this, all of us were never close at all. When the bell rings, we would all head off to our own friends.
So imagine my surprise when Joker texted me the other day. Our conversation went something like this:
Joker: 慧恩!
Me: ?? (apathetic. and I don't know why he was typing in Chinese)
Joker: It is you right?
Me: Ya why
Although I felt a certain sense of closeness to Joker, these feelings rapidly evaporated when we got to secondary school and all of a sudden, he turned into this obnoxious prick. IT WAS SO STRANGE. In Sec 1 I spoke to him online and he was a different person entirely, all of a sudden so devoted to religion (Buddhism... I think). He came across to me as thinking he is much better than everyone else. Didn't know what the hell was wrong with him. Was angry and a little sad because he turned out like that but I got over it quickly.
So we text for a while (me sounding completely bored and apathetic) and then he goes,
Joker: Remember when the four of us (by this he means him, Joker No. 2, Dark Eye Rings and I) were like so close? We'd always talk and laugh in class! Do you still keep in contact with Dark Eye Rings?
Me: Lol no she never seemed to keep in contact after secondary school. We were close meh?
Joker: What the hell! How can you say that? I thought we had something special? (seeing this last line made me guffaw at my phone)
Sometimes I feel people are so idiotic. That I feel a certain way or think of certain things before most other people around my age do (not trying to imply that I am mature, but it seems most people don't think like I do) is a sad and encumbering situation to be caught in.
----------------------------
|